Thursday, August 26, 2010

New Kind of Business

http://www.news.com.au/business/breaking-news/new-era-of-journalism-ahead-hartigan/story-e6frfkur-1225910555655#ixzz0xhztBdSU

 
The Future of Journalism Is Not Predictable

Everything in the new digital world changes. And so does journalism.

I didn't really understand that what is special of new era of journalism before I start a course called “online and mobile media" this semester. However, after more than 10 weeks training from my lecture, an expert from this new area, I get new thinking.

I was interested in other people's thinking when I was reading this article. In fact, journalism has been changed in many ways, from the format, audience, regulations to even the ethnics.

Since there were no pictures to remind me through what perspective the author would like to discuses, I had to read this article word by word. It was tired.

However, I was disappointed the mainly thing the author discussed was about the increasing demand of journalism in the new era because of he increasing demand of information from the Internet.

There are many people who are not optimistic with the future of the journalism because in the new digital world the mass decides everything. Journalism, which used to stand for elites' culture, is going to die.

I got different opinion. Because of increasing amount of sub-cultures because of the Internet and mobile tools, elite culture is no longer the leading one. They do have stronger competitors now. Then, journalism is going to be divided into different parts. The traditional journalism has to brand itself in the free market.

So I am different with the attitude the person who accepted the author's interview at the end of this article. Looking to the future, I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic.

I did really expect another people’s opinions from this article, about alternative development of journalism industry in the non-democratic countries such as China or North Korea. Probably If I was the author, I would at least to put set some accesses towards relevant information to the audience like me.

2 comments: