Thursday, August 26, 2010

New Challenge for Media Arts

http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=7950739&rf=true

As an advertising student, I am familiar with a new term, "Media Arts". Media Art describes the way
iTunes Dancer was the pioneer work of "Media Arts"
to make the packaging of touch points of the products and consumers (the retail presence, the content of the website, the PR program, the CRM initiatives etc.) tell the brand’s story gracefully and artfully.

The news article attracted me because the title told me that the pioneer success of Media Arts, iTunes, was reported to be insecure in protecting the consumer's account privacy. This was the first doubt about iTunesI have seen in the mainstream media.  

However, I would never read this article is I was not familiar and interested in Media Arts. This article was published without any pictures to attract readers' attention and show the key information.

I used to believe that iTunes is the most perfect strategy which combined marketing and advertising  in a creative way. A brand engages the audience in the new digital world is the key for its success and the pioneer works have helped the silhouette iPod dancer, paired with the revolutionary iTunes Music Store, to hold the largest share of the fragmented portable digital MP3 music player market at 50%.  

This multi faced story reported  different opinions from both the side with complains and the side rejecting the complains. These conflicts showed that the new technology creates new marketing opportunities as well as creates problems. I believe there is no perfect computer system ;you can't imagine how intelligent the human beings are in breaking these system.

I was expecting some future analysis about the future of marketing and advertising in the new digital time. Should the government limit the new application of marketing and advertising? Should we update the relevant law?  Unfortunately I cannot find any answer from this and other news article with similar topic.

This problem is probably new for Media Arts, but it is not new for online users. Did ebay , Strawberrynet meet similar problems ? How did they solve them? If I was the author, I would make my discussion linked with broader ways of thinking , and offer the access to future information.

No comments:

Post a Comment